Subject: sysinst for mac68k
To: port-mac68k <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Bob Nestor <rnestor@metronet.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/23/1999 21:23:49
As we all know the installation of NetBSD on a Mac is non-trivial.  Mkfs
and the Installer have been known to stumble on some disks, systems,
partitions, etc. (Probably my fault for the I/O routines I put into Mkfs
that are also used in the Installer.)

 For anyone who has had the opportunity to do a NetBSD installation on an
Intel system recently you've seen the new "sysinst" process.  It's very
slick indeed.

Well, I've been playing with sysinst for the mac68k port and I'm happy to
report it's ready for some serious testing.  With it we may eventually be
able to eliminate the need for the Mkfs and Installer applications.  But
this will only happen when the bugs are rung out and it gets built into a
miniroot file that the Booter can boot into.

Sysinst/mac68k can handle the Disk Partition Map, allowing one to
re-partition the disk or even dedicate the entire disk to NetBSD use.
It's more flexible than Mkfs in that it not only converts partitions into
ones NetBSD can use, but it can also split and join partitions in much
the same way disk formatters do.  (I like to think the mac68k
implementation is a little more user-friendly than the i386 version, but
I'm a little biased.)

Unfortunately I'm stuck running 1.3.2 on my system, so all my development
and testing has been on that release.  It would be nice if someone could
pick up the code and move it to 1.3.3 and/or -current.  Also, I'm not
familiar with how to build a miniroot, so there's also an opportunity for
someone to contribute there too.  And since MacOS HFS volume support
isn't standard in NetBSD someone might want to take a crack at a miniroot
with read-only HFS support to permit installation from a Mac volume in
addition to the CDROM and network support that's already there.

I've submitted the code in PR port-mac68k/6867, but if anyone wants a
copy of the code I'd be happy to e-mail it to them.

Hope this helps, and I look forward to seeing where this leads.
-bob