Subject: Re: Adapters to connect Macintosh to a Sun display?
To: NetBSD digest <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: wb2oyc <wb2oyc@bellatlantic.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/22/1999 19:17:25

>I scrounged a Mac II for a little computer work, but I need a
>monitor.  The VGA adapter didn't work, but I have a couple of
>monochrome jobs -- one composite & the other an older PC 9-pin
>connector.

What video card?

You may have been bitten by the change in monitor function pins or
interpretation of them...Mac video (and adapters for that matter)
changed, I think it was in April of '93 (might be bad date).  As
a result of that, a new Mac monitor won't work on those older Mac's
or video cards either.  Perhaps your adapter is really meant for a
newer Mac and thats why it doesn't work.  If your monitor is a VGA
or better, it should work, at least at the Mac 640x480, which is
likely to be the resolution used by the card in the II.  But, even
thats not a absolute.  Your card could be something much better and
if it is, the adpater may not be the issue either, but your Mac and
card is putting out a signal that the monitor can't deal with.

You need to provide more information here to get a handle on it.

I have one adapter (it has no manufacturer numbers or any printing
at all on it unfortunately) but it works for my older Mac's and
cards, while others I have (probably intended for those Mac's and
cards that came after 4/93) don't work at all on the old guys but
they both work on the later models/cards.

Plus, to illustrate the problem, I also have an Apple 15AV, built
in '97. It won't work on any of my older Mac's or video cards either.
And, on those, it won't even work when their set for mono.

So, there's a lot of 'if's here...trying to get it right.  Can you
tell us what card it is...that would be a big help.

Paul