Subject: Re: Adapters to connect Macintosh to a Sun display?
To: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
From: William Carrel <n9640093@cc.wwu.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/19/1999 15:30:09
It probably depends on the type of plug the Sun display has.  The Sun displays
owned by my college (WWU, home of www.netbsd.org), have alternately SVGA plugs
or BNC plugs.  My PowerMac 7500/100 is hooked up to BNC plug monitor using an
anonymous adapter, which are generally available for $7-15 from every
mail-order place on earth, and many monitor manufacturers.

If the plug is something weirder though, you might try contacting Sun's
technical support or web page to obtain a pinout for the display cable.  But I
imagine one of these adapter combinations will do it for you.

-A> Adapter -C> Cable
Mac -A-> SVGA -C-> BNC(x5)
Mac -A-> SVGA -C-> SVGA

This really has more to do with the monitor's pinout than who manufactured it.
The Sun displays I talked about at my college are identical to my 3rd-party
display at home, except for the Sun label.  And the adapters, widely sold for
new PowerMac's will work with older ones too.  In the event that my NetBSD Mac
IIcx needs a console display, I just move the adapter+cable from my 7500 to my
IIcx and voila, I have console display.  I'm about to get a cheap dumb terminal
to use as my NetBSD console though, should save me a lot of hassle I figure,
and it's generally much cheaper than a display.

Andy Carrel

p.s. sorry for the cross-post reply.