Subject: X CONSOLE configuration
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: NetBSD <netbsd@bvjtoday.co.jp>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/19/1999 17:01:29
my Quadra840av as far as I can tell, except for one thing

	How do I keep console messages from messing up my X screen?

	Especially frustrating when I'm editing in a file in vi in an xterm
window and someone logs in to check mail for use ftp, or when running
and IRC client in an xterm window.

	ON startup I get the xlogin screen (no problem) with a temporary
xconsole at the bottom left, after login i get the xsm window in the
upper left of the screen, and a floating xterm window to place
somewhere on the screen at my preference, but the xconsole at the
bottom left disappears.

	from the xsm:Default window I select Client List and clone the
xconsole client in the selection window then the xconsole reappears. I
usually bring up a total of 2 more xterm windows in the same way
(cloning the first xterm client in the list) then i click on `Done'

	I don't see any way to adjust the xconsole so that all the system
messages go to the xconsole client only:

	I have read the information located at:

ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/NetBSD-1.3/binary/sets/

but I'm not clear on which file to edit. Can anyone clarify?

9.18 How do I keep console messages from messing up my X screen?

You need to either run xconsole or else run an xterm with the "-C"
option. Even then, you need to have the

       options         UCONSOLE

line uncommented in your config file (the GENERIC config is set up this
way). Due to a bug in xconsole, you may also need

to have your X startup scripts chown the console to yourself and make
it readable by you.

You can also edit /etc/syslog.conf to redirect syslog output to
wherever you would like it to go.

Thanks in advance,

NRT

NetBSD@bvjtoday.co.jp