Subject: Re: TCP/IP/DNS over LocalTalk
To: Roger Fischer <roger@badger1.net>
From: Bob Nestor <rnestor@metronet.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/18/1999 22:18:25
Roger Fischer <roger@badger1.net> wrote:

>A mac Modem cable is a straight cable din-8 to DB-25.

Male din-8 to female DB-25 that come in three (or more) variants.
  1) An old-style without RTS/CTS thus incapable of being used with
hi-speed modems
  2) An early style with CTS tied to DTR. Used to be sold by USR with
their modems
  3) A current style with RTS tied to DTR, sold by Apple, Supra/Diamond
and others.

Figuring out which one you have is CRITICAL to knowing how to configure
your software under either MacOS or NetBSD.  Because of signal
limitations in a DIN-8 connector you can do at most any two of the
following three: Inbound flow control, Outbound flow control, modem
hangup control.

>A mac Printer cable is a null modem din-8 to DB-25.

An "ImageWriter I" cable is this way, male din-8 to male DB-25; the
"ImageWriter II" (and later printer) cables are the same as the Mac
serial cable identified below.

>A mac serial cable is a null modem din-8 to din-8.

Male din-8 to male din-8.

-bob