Subject: Re: TCP/IP/DNS over LocalTalk
To: Charles Barthmann <chuck_barthmann@hotmail.com>
From: Roger Fischer <roger@badger1.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/18/1999 17:26:47
At 8:22 PM -0800 1/16/99, Charles Barthmann wrote:
>Hello All!
>
>I've been reading bits from this list, getting ready for when I finally
>load NetBSD onto an SE/30 that I have kicking around.  There's been a
>lot of talk that NetBSD doesn't support LocalTalk.  The main function
>for my SE/30 will be serving DNS's, and I don't have the dough to
>splurge on a SCSI-Ethernet converter.

I would suggest skimming through the ad's in the back of MacWorld or
similar for the places that sell used parts.  Try MacresQ.  I year
ago I bought a brand new ethernet card for my SE/30 for $50.  I used
one should be significantly cheaper.

>My Question: Will NetBSD be able to send TCP/IP information over
>LocalTalk through the printer port?

You'll be able to send TCP/IP over your serial ports, via PPP, whether
it's over a modem to an ISP, or over a null modem cable to another
computer.  You just can't use the "Appletalk" protocol over the serial
ports.

>Unrelated Question: If I were to hook up a dumb terminal using a DIN-8
>to DB25/36 (don't know what size), tell NetBSD to talk to the modem
>port, would I just have to have NetBSD running, and turn on the dumb
>terminal?

Yup.  A Mac modem cable should be able to hook up to a dumb terminal
(vt100?).  You might need to enable getty on that terminal in the
/etc/ttys file in order to login through that port though.

That's what I used to do (using a terminal emulation program) until I
finally got that ethernet board so I could telnet in instead.

Roger

P.S.
A mac Modem cable is a straight cable din-8 to DB-25.
A mac Printer cable is a null modem din-8 to DB-25.
A mac serial cable is a null modem din-8 to din-8.