Subject: Mac IIci Is Finally Set up with macBSD!
To: Net BSD <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: ayeats <ayeats@ne.mediaone.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/18/1999 12:41:18
Hello again

I just wanted to thank you all for all your help with the trials and
tribulations of my poor mac IIci :)

I was able to set up rc.conf (all I did was set rc_configured=YES as I
don't quite know what the other things mean)

I logged in as root, gave myself a password.. And now I have a BSD Box!
Wahoo!

The only thing to figure out now is what to do with it :)

I do have one question for the group however.
AFTER I configurd the rc.conf file, and chose exit, it loaded for a while
and gave me a login prompt. I logged in as root and it did its thing.

Then it said what terminal(I hit return for vt220)
and then it said"Don't login as root, use the su command"

What does this mean, Aren't I already logged in as root???

I ignored it and played around, frolocking from directory to directory
and saying to myself I finally have a UNIX-Like computer!

Then I typed exit, assuming that it would   give me another login prompt,
but it said "Jobs have been stopped" so I chose exit again, and it just
went to white. I clicked return a few times, and there was nothing I
could do. Is this normal? If I were to telnet to my machine and choose
exit, would it send the machine into a state where I would have to
physically restart the machine, or would I just be able to telnet to it
again? Anyway, maybe I'll have my cousin over, he has set up many a UN*X
box.

Thanks for all your support!

I'm sure that this won't be the last of my questions!

Happy MLK Day!

-Andrew

Freedom Is Slavery   -   War Is Peace   -   Ignorance Is Strength
         -1984, George Orwell
--

Go to http://www.acalltoaction.org
and sign the petition to end this crazyness in the congress!

If it does not work ther (it may not be up yet)

go to:

http://people.ne.mediaone.net/ayeats/acta/