Subject: Re: Installing mac68k BSD on IIci
To: ayeats <ayeats@ne.mediaone.net>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fb@enteract.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/17/1999 11:14:26
On Sat, 16 Jan 1999, ayeats wrote:

> Hello all,
> I am looking to install mac68kBSD on a mac IIci. I used an external
> harddrive and reformatted the internal (internal has scsi id 4) I
> partitioned it (it is about 100mb harddrive) into a 16 mb SWAP partition,
> a 20MB root and a 66mb usr partition. Then I went in and used Mkfs_1.45
> to turn the  swap into a swap partition, the root into a root partition
> and the usr into a usr partition. It all seemed to go well until I tried
> to use the installer.
>
> When I tried,it loaded up (the window was HUGE and half the text was off
> the screen!) It loaded for a while and finally said that there had been
> an error type 22, it couldn't mount the root partition an unknown error
> had occurred. If i tried to type anything it would beep and when I
> pressed return, it quit and the finder told me it had quit because of a
> type 1 error. This of course means a Bus Error... Oh.. That's real
> helpful.

Did you make the filesystems? That's a seperate menu item from
changing the partition types. You need to do that, too.

I tend to agree with the other poster that 100mb is kinda small.
You'll have to forego X Windows. It's a good beginning, though, if you
can spare another 300-500mb on the other drive for /usr, and then make
the 66mb into either /var or /home. After that, it depends on what you
do, and on which filesystem fills up first.