Subject: Re: More Ici, How big partitions and what sets.
To: ayeats <ayeats@ne.mediaone.net>
From: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/16/1999 17:51:41
ayeats wrote:
> Hello all (again)

hi.

> I have come to my senses and gotten a bit more space (160mb internal and
> an 80mb external)
> Here is what I was thinking:
>
> - 80m external
>    - 20m - SWAP (The machine has approx 12m ram)
>    - 60m - Root

sounds good to me.

> - 160m internal
>    -How should I break this up???

you can just make it all /usr, i guess...unless you want a separate /var
or /home.

> I would be interested in comments, I plan on using the machine for IP
> masquerading or proxying/firewalling It will also be used as a
> web/ftp/telnet server and many other things (having a dedicated modem
> line for terminal use, telnetting from library to work on research papers
> and take notes, etc.)
>
> Should I worry about a separate var partition? If so, how big should it
> be.

only if you expect to have a _lot_ of logging going on.  otherwise, just
remember to clean out the logs every so often.

> Is 60m enough root space?

i have 25MB root partitions, but then again, i have everything else on
other partitions (i.e. only /etc, /bin, and /sbin are actually on the root
partition).

> Also, What sets should I install where?

read the INSTALL doc very carefully.  they all install on the root
partition, but you _must_ mount your other partitions first.  this is
described in the INSTALL doc.

i hope this helps.

later.

colin