Subject: Re: sendmail port
To: KITAMURA Yasuichi <kita@koganei.wide.ad.jp>
From: David Brownlee <abs@anim.dreamworks.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/16/1999 10:42:11
	I think you might be confusing ports with interfaces. Each
	interface (physical or virtual) will typically have an address for
	each protocol used. Within tcp/ip there is the concept of 'ports',
	which can be from 1 to 65536 (I believe). Standard services live
	on well defined ports (see /etc/services). So when one machine
	sends email to another it knows to connect to an interface on
	port 25 (smtp). Similarly when you telnet in in knows to use port
	23. The receiving machine will have a process listening on each
	relevant port, plus 'inetd.conf' which acts as a type of telephone
	operator - it listens on many ports and fires up a given program
	for each port on demand.

	As to the original question - check /usr/share/sendmail/README -
	I think DaemonPortOptions _might_ be what you are looking for.

		David/absolute

                      Neighbours should be one of:
                a) Understanding   b) Distant   c) Deaf