Subject: Re: appletalk routing
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: David Johnston <david@canopus.apana.org.au>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/16/1999 14:38:49
On Fri, Jan 15, 1999 at 11:11:11AM -0800, Dr. Bill Studenmund wrote:
> On Sat, 16 Jan 1999, KITAMURA Yasuichi wrote:
>
> > I think there's one more solution. That is to connect with LW by serial line
> > and use papd.
>
> Nope, that won't work. papd needs a working appletalk network connection.
> As we don't support LocalTalk at present, you can't get any Appletalk
> network connection from your Mac to the LW using a serial line.

Along with the local-talk port the printer probably has a true RS-232 port
which you can use to transfer raw postscript to the printer. I have used a
laserwriter NTR with NetBSD that way. You have to make up special local talk
to RS-232 connector to get the handshaking to work correctly (which involves
lots of tedious experimentation). There's information in Apples tech info
library which can help you with this.

	david.

--

David Johnston