Subject: Re: appletalk routing
To: port-mac68k@netbsd.org <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Dan Dockery <danarchy@endeneu.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/15/1999 15:25:28
On Fri, 15 Jan 1999 11:11:11 -0800 (PST), Dr. Bill Studenmund wrote:

>Nope, that won't work. papd needs a working appletalk network connection.
>As we don't support LocalTalk at present, you can't get any Appletalk
>network connection from your Mac to the LW using a serial line.

One thing I've been wondering as I've read through this thread is
whether anyone has tried running pppd on the serial line and using
something like MacPPP or OT PPP to connect to it from the Macintosh.  I
haven't worked too much with any of the Mac PPP dialers, so I don't
know how well it would work.  If they insist on modem responses, maybe
it would even be possible to hack pppd to send back the appropriate
"OK" and "CONNECT XXXXX" type responses?  Also, do these dialers
support Appletalk over PPP?  If so, perhaps that could be a possible
"hack."

I suppose it wouldn't be very helpful with the printer anyway now that
I think about it, but...  I do have some Duo's that I've been thinking
of using for some experiments, since they don't have any ethernet
without being docked.  Has anyone tried this?

-Dan