Subject: Re: grey is yellow???
To: Ken Nakata <kenn@synap.ne.jp>
From: Guy Santiglia <fredfl2@soback.kornet21.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/12/1999 09:02:39

> But you know what I think?  I think you are running my X OSFA server
> in 8-bit *color* mode without video ROM driver support.  Video ROM
> support is available only for NuBus/PDS video cards and only with Paul
> Goyette's SLOTMAN kernels or with Taras Ivanenko/Colin Wood's video
> LKM loaded.
>
> If you are running X on the internal video, you can run X OSFA server
> in color mode only in 16-bit mode (i.e. thousands-of-color mode).  If
> your internal video doesn't do 16-bit mode, you can run the server
> only in 8-bit *gray* mode.

I think your right about your OSFA server in 8 bit mode.
That is what I was doing.  But when I select 16 bit mode the
maching still seems to boot in 8 bit color mode.  It doesn't give
me the option too switch to 16 bit mode in the Mac OS monitor
control panel.  I don't have a nubus video card either.

So I'm thinking that my internal video doesn't do 16 bit mode
like you said.  Does that mean I'm S.O.L. on getting normal
colors from that OSFA server?

If so should I try another color server??

> If you run X OSFA server on the internal video in 8-bit *color* mode,
> the screen will look like the computer is on narcotic drugs or
> something.  I think that's your problem.  Read through the README file.

I'm trying to keep my mac away from the drugs.  I read your README
and  would this entry be correct to set the XDEVICE variable??

setenv XDEVICE /dev/grf0

(c shell of course)

thanks Guy

e-