Subject: Re: grey is yellow???
To: Guy Santiglia <fredfl2@soback.kornet21.net>
From: Paul Goyette <paul@whooppee.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/11/1999 17:12:36
The limitation you're running into is _not_ a limitation of the X server
being used.  Rather, the limitation is that the NetBSD kernel does not
have the capability built-in neither to switch bit-depths (ie, number of
colors) nor to control the color palette (ie, set color #N to x parts of
Red, y parts Green, and z parts Blue).

There are two ways of getting this functionality:

1. Use the Video LKM that Taras Ivanenko built, and Colin Wood updated;

   or

2. Use one of my SLOTMAN kernels, which has the Video LKM built in as
   well as support for more video cards.

NOTE!  Both of these options require that you use a NuBus (ie, external)
video card.  There is no way currently to get the required functionality
on internal video, although Michael Zucca was working on it a while ago.

For more information, you can start with my web page at

	http://www.whooppee.com/slotman/

There's at least one pointer there to Michael's web page, as well as a
pretty extensive FAW on the SLOTMAN kernels.

On Tue, 12 Jan 1999, Guy Santiglia wrote:

> > But you know what I think?  I think you are running my X OSFA server
> > in 8-bit *color* mode without video ROM driver support.  Video ROM
> > support is available only for NuBus/PDS video cards and only with Paul
> > Goyette's SLOTMAN kernels or with Taras Ivanenko/Colin Wood's video
> > LKM loaded.
> >
> > If you are running X on the internal video, you can run X OSFA server
> > in color mode only in 16-bit mode (i.e. thousands-of-color mode).  If
> > your internal video doesn't do 16-bit mode, you can run the server
> > only in 8-bit *gray* mode.
>
> I think your right about your OSFA server in 8 bit mode.
> That is what I was doing.  But when I select 16 bit mode the
> maching still seems to boot in 8 bit color mode.  It doesn't give
> me the option too switch to 16 bit mode in the Mac OS monitor
> control panel.  I don't have a nubus video card either.
>
> So I'm thinking that my internal video doesn't do 16 bit mode
> like you said.  Does that mean I'm S.O.L. on getting normal
> colors from that OSFA server?
>
> If so should I try another color server??
>

> > If you run X OSFA server on the internal video in 8-bit *color* mode,
> > the screen will look like the computer is on narcotic drugs or
> > something.  I think that's your problem.  Read through the README file.
>
> I'm trying to keep my mac away from the drugs.  I read your README
> and  would this entry be correct to set the XDEVICE variable??
>
> setenv XDEVICE /dev/grf0
>

> (c shell of course)
>
> thanks Guy
>

> e-
> Guy Santiglia
> South Korea

| Paul Goyette      | PGP DSS Key fingerprint:   | E-mail addresses:        |
| Network Engineer  |   BCD7 5301 9513 58A6 0DBC |  paul@whooppee.com       |
| and kernel hacker |   91EB ADB1 A280 3B79 9221 |  paul.goyette@ascend.com |