Subject: Re: X will start, was: won't start
To: Guy Santiglia <fredfl2@soback.kornet21.net>
From: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/10/1999 15:48:40
Guy Santiglia wrote:

>   It must have been something in the xinit file.  I untarred
> the xbase.tgz from the CD and got a new xinit
> file to use.  the windows started right up after that.
>
> This all started when I was changing the colors in the xinit file.
> How do I know what colors are available for X windows?
>
>   Some of the colors I tried worked and others didn't.  Or the colors
> didn't seem to match the name of the color.

You can either look at /usr/X11R6/lib/rgb.txt (I think that's where it is,
perhaps in a subdirectory of that one), or you can compile a package like
xcolors or xco (which might actually be in our X distribution, I think
xcolors was part of the standard X contrib section) either of which will
give you some visual feedback on what the colors look like.

I hope this helps.

Later.

Colin