Subject: Re: Measured progress on the laserwriter front
To: Dr. Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
From: Steve Revilak <revilak@umbsky.cc.umb.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/09/1999 18:21:46
Dr. Bill Writes:

>The printer is on LocalTalk bridged to Ethernet isn't it? We don't support
>LocalTalk.                                                  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^

BINGO!  No ethernet card!  (Slaps face, and says to himself..."hoo boy, do
I feel like a *maroon*!!)

>Have you tried again after setting the interfaces to the ethernet card
>name?

Would probably have worked geat, aside from the little hitch above :-)

>I'm not sure. But you're mixing two different ways of communicating with
>the printer. I'd sugest use only one for now. Either use Netatalk & a
>                                              ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>LocalTalk bridge, or use a serial connection.
>^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Again, a little terminology thing that was the source of my confusion, I
think.  Let me see if I have it straight -- Localtalk is *not* supported
via serial connections (eg, the printer port), but it *is* supported over
an ethernet network connection vie netatalk.

Okay, then, now I see.  Then back to the notion of a *serial* connection.
Connected to the (printer) serial port the device specification for lp
should be
	lp=/dev/tty01

No?

Thanks again!