Subject: Re: advice on hard disks
From: Steve Revilak <revilak@umbsky.cc.umb.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/05/1999 08:54:27
Roger Fischer <roger@badger1.net> writes

>At 8:09 AM -0800 1/3/99, Rolf Braun wrote:
>>I'm going to get another hard disk soon, and I want it to work with
>>NetBSD/mac68k. What do you all know about compatibility with Quantum
>>Fireball (1.2 gig), Quantum Lightning (1.2 gig), or Seagate Barracuda (2
>>gig)?

>I'm using a Quantum Fireball 3.2 Gig model.  No problems in norm usage.
>I did have some problems during the install though.  I installed the
>base.tgz, kern.tgz, and etc.tgz.  On some of the other tarballs, I had
>the problems with the SCSI read #5 errors.

I'm using a Quantum TM1280 (1.2 gig-- a Fireball).  Like Rodger, good under
daily use -- a bit of a pain during install.  I solved the problem by
re-ordering partitions: root, usr, swap, then a small HFS

Also, since it was Rolf who asked the question initially, I also must
inject a personal aside.  Better Telnet -- nice piece of work...use it on a
day to day basis.

For a cheap 040, you might want to try Pre-Owned Electronics or macresq.

Steve Revilak
revilak@umbsky.cc.umb.edu