Subject: Re: X login screen
To: Ed D. Wright <ewright@spice.jpl.nasa.gov>
From: Roger Fischer <roger@badger1.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/04/1999 22:33:16
>To:  NetBSD Mac
>From:  Ed Wright
>
>Colin Wood typed -
>
>...How is it unstable?
>
>If xdm is YES in rc.conf, and I start an X win session
>with startx - with a valid .xinitrc, X windows tends
>to quit and throw me back to the single terminal mode.

This may be a stupid question...
but after setting "xdm=yes" in rc.conf, did you restart?

During the bootup process, the last thing that should happen
is that the xserver should start up, and then xdm should
give you a graphical login screen.  If you are logging in
and trying to start X, then XDM did not start up properly
at boot time.

Also, Bob Nestor's FAQ was a great help to me.

- Roger

Roger Fischer  roger@badger1.net  http://www.badger1.net
When once you have tasted flight, you will always walk
the earth with your eyes turned skyward; for there you
have been and there you will always be.
                           -Leonardo da Vinci  1452-1519