Subject: Re: X login screen
To: Ed D. Wright <ewright@spice.jpl.nasa.gov>
From: Bob Nestor <rnestor@metronet.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/04/1999 20:31:14
Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com> wrote:

>Ed D. Wright wrote:
>>
>> To: NetBSD X gurus (guri?)
>> From:  Ed Wright
>>

>> I have a truly trivial question.
>>
>> How do I get an X windows login screen after
>> booting into NetBSD.  I tried setting xdm to YES
>> in rc.conf as per FAQ, without success, and X
>> windows tended to be unstable.
>>
>> Currently, xdm is NO; I start an X win session
>> via a startx.
>>
>> Any ideas?
>
>How is it unstable?  The answer in the FAQ is pretty much the only way to
>actually set it up so that you get the X login screen (well, I guess you
>could manually call xdm in rc.local or something, but that'd be a little
>pointless).  Have you looked at the XDM setup howto on puma?  I believe it
>should still be there.  If you can't find it, let me know and I'll see if
>I can dig it up.

The XDM setup file is still there but it's a bit dated.  It was written
before the XDM startup option in rc.conf existed, so it explains how to
edit rc.local to do this.  If you ignore the mods to rc.local and just
set XDM=YES in rc.conf it should work OK though.

If you have any problems and/or specific questions I'd be happy to try to
answer them.  At the same time I'll see if I can update that old document
too.

-bob