Subject: Re: Mac IIsi external video question
To: Marcus H. Mendenhall <mendenmh@nashville.net>
From: Paul Goyette <paul@whooppee.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/31/1998 15:45:37
I'm not aware of any "memory mapping problem" with internal video, but
here's what's happening:

The GENERIC kernel will look for either an internal or nubus/external
video to use as the console.  Whichever one it finds first will be
selected as the "console".  And if you have both, it will always find
the internal video first.  So even though you don't have a monitor
connected (using paper clips instead) NetBSD thinks you have a monitor
and that's what it will select.

You have two choices:

1. Remove the paper clips, and run the risk of hitting whatever mapping
   problem there might be, or

2. Compiling your own kernel from sources, and don't tell it to look
   for internal video.

On Thu, 31 Dec 1998, Marcus H. Mendenhall wrote:

> I am in the process of helping my son set up our old MacIIsi for NetBSD.
>
> The machine has 17 M RAM, an external Syquest88 disk, and a Futura IIsx
> video card.  Under the right conditions, all of these work. However, I have
> not figured out one problem.
>
> I want to use a monitor attached to the
> external video, and leave the internal unused.  I have done the
> "paper-clip in pins 4&11" trick to avoid the kernel memory mapping problem
> described in the FAQ.  However, I haven't figured out how to get
> netbsd to use the external video for its console.  I uses it
> for the console until about halfway through the boot, and then abandons
> it in favor
> of the internal video (which at this point has a paperclip, not a
> monitor, resulting
> in somewhat difficult viewing :-)).  Is there a way to tell the kernel to
> completely ignore the internal video?  ( switch, e.g.) without recompiling
> it?  A recompile will be quite painful without video.  It also isn't
> easy to
> capitulate and put the video monitor on the internal video.  We have an
> ancient VGA  monitor from a yard sale on this machine, using a vga-mac adapter.
> That adaptor works fine with the Futura card, but not the internal video.
>
> Any help would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Marcus Mendenhall

| Paul Goyette      | PGP DSS Key fingerprint:   | E-mail addresses:        |
| Network Engineer  |   BCD7 5301 9513 58A6 0DBC |  paul@whooppee.com       |
| and kernel hacker |   91EB ADB1 A280 3B79 9221 |  paul.goyette@ascend.com |