Subject: Re: /etc/printcap for /dev/tty01 connected ps laser printer
To: Dr. Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
From: Marc Coevoet <MarcCoevoet@planetinternet.be>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/29/1998 20:12:20
At 13:43 -0800 28-12-1998, Dr. Bill Studenmund wrote:
>On Wed, 23 Dec 1998, Marc Coevoet wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have a Postscript laser connected through the printer port (/dev/tty01).
>> It doesn't speak appletalk (It is a Select 310, that can be connected
>>through
>> parallel/serial cable).
>
>What is a parallel/serial cable? What does the plug on the back of the
>printer look like?

It is an Apple Select 310 postscript laser printer connected with a serial
cable,
ie an appletalk lookalike cable plugged to the printer port.
(It can be used with a parallel connection.)

I have tried to launch lpd, after editing /etc/printcap with something like:

lp:\
	:sd=/var/spool/lpd:lp=/dev/tty01:mx#0:

but it doesn't work.  The laser seems to receive something (the light
starts blinking,
but goes out after a while).  It probably has to do with the serial
connection...

Needless to say it works under macos.

Marc