Subject: Re: Serial console?
To: port-mac68k@netbsd.org, Beth Sundheim <beth@sailorpluto.com>
From: Marc Coevoet <MarcCoevoet@planetinternet.be>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/29/1998 20:12:36
At 15:15 -0800 28-12-1998, David Brownlee wrote:
>	This list is for issues common to all m68k using ports.
>	You're probably better sending this to port-mac68k@netbsd.org
>	which is the list reserved for 68k macintosh users.
>
>	Could I ask from where you obtained the port-m68k address?
>	(We might want to update some web pages :)
>
>		David/absolute
>
>          -=-  "Give me one last video, just dressed in black"  -=-
>
>On Mon, 28 Dec 1998, Beth Sundheim wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I am a new subscriber to this list, and I have been waiting for a little
>> while to see what the tenor of discussion here is like, in order not to
>> commit any newbie faux pas. Nothing has found its way to my inbox, though,
>> which makes me wonder if it's just quiet right now, or if Majordomo choked
>> on my confirmation e-mail. ;-) Anyway, I have one quick question to ask,
>> and then I'll go away.
>>
>> I have an old 68k Mac (Classic II, to be specific) on which I would like to
>> install a Un*x-like operating system, just for my personal edification. I
>> have read that there are some issues with video support for this machine
>> (which usually also includes some cryptic references to "serial console"
>> output.) I've sone some sleuthing on the web but have not turned up any
>> documentation about the problem, except to note that it exists. And a
>> working definition of "serial console" currently eludes me as well. I
>> gather that it involves video output and the serial port, but since I've
>> never seen or heard of anyone connecting a monitor to their computer via
>> the serial port, I'm afraid I can't quite figure out what the actual issue
>> is.
>>
>> I'm sorry to trouble the list over what I'm sure is an obvious point to
>> everyone but me (and may cause some giggles), but if some kind soul would
>> send me a quick note off-list to set me straight, I'd be grateful.
>>
>> Thanks very much!
>> Beth

It runs on a Colour Classic with the standard kernel.  Only thing is there
is still a
problem and it sometimes hangs initialising adb-ports(mouse-keyboard).
A Classic II will work similarly.  Once booted, everything works (you do
not need to connect a serial console, but you can).

Some 3 years ago, I booted my CC, serial connected, after much plug and *play*.

Marc