Subject: Re: hosed partition map?
To: Amitai Schlair <amitai.schlair@usa.net>
From: Bob Nestor <rnestor@metronet.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/27/1998 07:37:01
Amitai Schlair <amitai.schlair@usa.net> wrote:

>I've got a 1GB SCSI drive that appears to have a busted partition map.
>My patched HD SC Setup 7.3.5 works on other drives just fine, but gives
>me all manner of unloosed heck with this one. Can't initialize, can't
>update the driver (no driver to update, I guess!), can't partition. Is
>there a tool (payware OK) that can fix this poor disk so I can
>partition it for NetBSD?

I don't know if it's still there, but there used to be a copy of the old
APS disk formatter at:
     <ftp://128.183.44.1/pub/mac/APS273.sit.hqx>

and a copy of Apple's modified formatter for A/UX at:
    <http://www.euronet.nl/users/ernstoud/hdsetup.html>

The APS formatter was a kind of generic formatter.  It was used to build
all sorts of third party disk formatters, Transcomm, RealTech, etc.

BTW, while working on a new version of Mkfs I discovered that there are
some special reserved names that one should probably try to avoid when
renaming disk partitions.  Special partitions on the volume begin with
the string "Appl".  This usually includes the Partition Map partition
itself.  The other resereved name is "Maci".  It is reserved for Driver
partitions and any partition starting with this string will have a
checksum verification run on it by the Start Manager under MacOS.  I
don't know if this is what you've done to your disk, but if not it's
probably something you want to avoid.

-bob