Subject: re: backing up
To: None <PORT-MAC68K@netbsd.org>
From: Steve Revilak <revilak@umbsky.cc.umb.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/27/1998 04:19:38
From: Guy <fredfl2@soback.kornet21.net> writes:

/So I tried to use "tar" to archive the directories and then
/I would use cpout in the installer to put them in
/a safe place.  But I'm not sure how to use that "tar"
/command.  I read the man page and am still a bit confused.
/
/  Could some one please send me the command line that they
/would use to say back up theie /etc directory?

	tar -cvf etc_backup.tar /etc

The flags:
	-c for "create"
	-v for "verbose" (lists each file as it's added to the archive
	-f target is a file (as opposed to a tape drive or other device

(You could also and "P" as a flag to preserve absolute pathnames.  Or,
just make sure you're in the right place when you unpack it.  Add "P"
before "f".)

	The next argument is the name of the target file

	The last argument is the directory you are tarring.

After making the archive, you can list it's contents by:

	tar -tvf etc_backup.tar

Finally, compress the bugger:

	gzip etc_backup.tar

Then just copy it over.  You should have no problems.

Steve
revilak@umbsky.cc.umb.edu