Subject: Re: ppp questions.
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Michael G. Schabert <mikeride@prez.org>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/23/1998 16:09:27
>Both the pppd which fires up when you come in from the other mac and the
>pppd which you want to connect to your isp will use the same .ppprc, and
>so they'll probably get in each other's way. From man pppd:
>
>              Pppd reads options from the files /etc/ppp/options,
>       ~/.ppprc  and  /etc/ppp/options.ttyname  (in  that  order)
>       before  processing  the  options on the command line.
>
>I'd suggest putting all the settings in options.ttyname, and just know
>that serial port X will be for going to the isp, and port Y will be for
>the other computer to dial into you.

He mentioned that he has a special login that kicks him into pppd as its
default shell. He could just set up the ~/.ppprc in a home directory for
that user. Root or whomever he'll be using to initiate an ISP connection
can hold the .ppprc file for that.

>> Also, does anyone have a script/program that can keep an internet
>> connection up? I have a isp that kicks users off after 3 1/2 hours online,
>> doesn't matter what you're doing either. What I would like to do is have
>> the 475 detect that the line went down and bring in back up again.
>
>If you have a dynamic IP address, you can't. You could write scripts which
>would get you back on the net ASAP when you get logged off, but unless you
>magically got the same dynamic IP address, you're hosed.
>
>With a static IP address, you can use the Dial on Demand pppd kit on puma
>to just dial in when needed.

I think what he really wants is to put "persist" into his ppprc or
ppp/options file. That'll have it keep redialing the minute it's disc'd.
The static/dynamic thing is only a problem if he wants sessions to continue
through dials. I think he just wants the ISP to be available via the
computer at all times. I may be wrong on that, though.

HTH
Mike
Bikers don't *DO* taglines.