Subject: Re: port-mac68k-digest V1 #637
From: Steve Revilak <revilak@umbsky.cc.umb.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/21/1998 13:53:27
Danny Paul <dpaul01@mail.coin.missouri.edu> wrote:

>	I have been planning to install NetBSD on my Macintosh Centris
>650 with 32MegRam and 240 meg hard drive.  I had already partitioned my
>disk for a full install when I got to talking with one of my friends.  He
>said that he had chatted with some people he knew who had installed
>several different flavors of Linux and they all thought it had been a real
>pain.

Congratulations!  That was the 'pain' part, and you just did it!  If you've
got your disk partitioned, I think the only thing you could really mess up
is when converting the partitions from MacOS to UNIX (with Mkfs) -- don't
zap the wrong one.  Just like partitioning a drive--don't zap the wrong
partition.

If it makes you feel better, just mke a backup.  Make two.  That way,
you'll never find yourself saying "OH NOOO!!!".  But rather, "darn..time to
get the tape".  Backups are good.  They give you a tremendous amount of
power in that sense.

FWIW, after nearly a year, I have yet to have NetBSD cause so much as the
loss of a single byte of Mac data.

And lastly, Steve Allen who also responded to your post, has a great
signature, but I think it has some direct applications to your situation:

>Contrary to popular belief, Unix is user friendly.
>It just happens to be selective about who it makes friends with.
>	-Kyle Hearn  <kyle@intex.net>

Good luck!

Steve Revilak
revilak@umbsky.cc.umb.edu