Subject: Re: xdm problems and a dumb question
To: Jason Newman <jtn2@email.psu.edu>
From: Henry B. Hotz <hotz@jpl.nasa.gov>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/18/1998 14:36:16
At 6:05 AM -0800 12/18/98, Jason Newman wrote:
>1. I know there is a faq for getting xdm up and running. I've read it and

Haven't done xdm on NetBSD, sorry.

>2. Now for the stupid question. I'm still pretty new to netbsd. I have a
>couple of basic unix books that I am working through, but neither cover
>much in the way of system administration. How does one add a new user? (I

man adduser

Nobody can agree on exactly how to do it so it's kind of manual.  What I do
is 1) vipw the /etc/passwd file and add the right stuff, 2) create and
chown the home directory, and 3) copy the sample files from /etc/skel (or
/usr/share/skel wherever it is on this flavor of Unix).

>assume that when I get this think on the net, being logged in as root is a
>pretty bad idea.)

Uh, yeah, you could say that. ;-)

Of course there's a bit more to it than that. The trick is to do enough
that the obvious stuff won't work and try not to lose sleep over the rest.