Subject: Re: xdm problems and a dumb question
To: Jason Newman <jtn2@email.psu.edu>
From: Christopher R. Bowman <crb@ChrisBowman.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/18/1998 11:50:53
At 09:05 AM 12/18/98 -0500, Jason Newman wrote:
>Hi there. I have a question about how to get xdm started and then a rather
>stupid question.
>
>1. I know there is a faq for getting xdm up and running. I've read it and
>followed it. However, it won't work correctly. Everytime I login, the
>server dies and restarts again taking me back to the login window. The
>cycle repeats over and over. Any suggestions? Eventually, I'd like to get
>kdm running in place of it, but I figure start with the basics first.
>
>2. Now for the stupid question. I'm still pretty new to netbsd. I have a
>couple of basic unix books that I am working through, but neither cover
>much in the way of system administration. How does one add a new user? (I
>assume that when I get this think on the net, being logged in as root is a
>pretty bad idea.)
>
>Thanks for any hints and suggestions.
>Jason T. Newman

If you have a .xsessions file in your home directory you want to make sure
that
you own it and you have read and execute permissions for it.  You want to make
sure that the last command in that file is not forked (ie doesn't end with an
&) since the session will exit back to xdm when this last command exits.  You
want to look in .xsession-errors file in you home directory and at the
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xd/xdm-errors file for errors when xdm forks your session
and when your session forks your .xsession commands.

--------
Christopher R. Bowman
crb@ChrisBowman.com
http://www.ChrisBowman.com/