Subject: Re: Duo Dock I/O, was: ADB problems
To: Hauke Fath <hauke@Espresso.Rhein-Neckar.DE>
From: Michael R. Zucca <mrz5149@acm.org>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/18/1998 01:20:52
>>From looking at the Duo Dock II block diagram, it is the other way round: A
>docked Duo provides internal video, SCSI for the internal disk, ADB, sound
>and (optionally) the modem. All other I/O (floppy, serial, ethernet,
>external SCSI/video, Nubus) is provided by the Dock.

Unfortunately, aside from ethernet, we don't support any of the other devices
on NuBus...yet. I hear tell that Bill was working on serial for NuBus cards.
You know about floppy of course :) and I think Allen made mention of SCSI on
a NuBus card. Video could be done. I just need a take apart Jet video
(of course, without a Duo, I can't :)

>So - that would mean I could probe "slot" $E and attach a "duodock" bus
>(like "obio") to it which has devices attached whose drivers are available
>anyway? I am just beginning to like the NetBSD autoconf framework...

Just treat it like a NuBus card. Granted, it's a NuBus card that does
a whole bunch of stuff, but it's still a NuBus card. You could probably get
ethernet going pretty easily. I would imagine it has SResources and whatnot
just like a card. You just need to be careful only to map the appropriate
address space for the chip you want rather than the whole slot.

For instance, an ethernet driver might probe the slot, see that's its a Duo
Dock II, map in the ethernet chip's space, and then let somebody else have
a turn. Then video comes along and maps in the frame buffer and
video controller, etc.

>>From the Apple docs, you can only swap a sleeping Duo. I am not at all sure
>we support putting a Powerbook to sleep (and waking it up again).

Hmm. Check out the power manager code.

 Michael Zucca - mrz5149@acm.org - http://www.mdc.net/~mrz5149/
 "I will choose a path that's clear. I will choose Freewill. "
  --Rush, Freewill