Subject: re: Installer "Error on SCSIRead(), #5"
From: Steve Revilak <revilak@umbsky.cc.umb.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/17/1998 10:38:09
Nathan Raymond <nate@staff.feldberg.brandeis.edu> wrote:

>I have an IBM UltraStar 2ES (DCAS-32160) in a IIci and partitioned it with
>a approx. 2GB Root&Usr, 64MB Swap, and 2MB HFS partition, and with the
>latest installer I couldn't even build devices without getting the "Error
>on SCSIRead(), #5".  I couldn't install a single package completely.  The
>drivers are Apple's Drive Setup 1.6.2 (8.1.1 with the latest patch
>partition).  I didn't bother with the first workaround mentioned:

>I thought I'd mention the problem since its an IBM drive and the FAQ only
>mentions Quantum Fireballs.  Any idea when this bug in the installer will
>be fixed?  Anything I can do to help fix it?

(I'm one of those quantum fireball guys...)

It may be more than a bug in the installer.  I had this problem moving to a
1.2 Gig TM1280...it was actually just the base set -- and I kludged a
workaround by using cpin and unpacking on the netbsd side.

However, when using the new disk, I continued to have corruption problems
-- fsck would kick in on every reboot and find a dozen or two problem files
-- clean them...you get the picture.  In my case, reordering the partitions
did the trick -- putting root first, user second, swap third.

Perhaps coincidence, but with that the corruption stopped and so did the
"Error on SCSIRead()" problem in the installer.

Steve Revilak
revilak@umbsky.cc.umb.edu