Subject: Re: ADB problems
To: Hauke Fath <hauke@Espresso.Rhein-Neckar.DE>
From: Michael R. Zucca <mrz5149@acm.org>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/16/1998 20:43:22
>>> Another peculiarity: I don't see any serial activity when the Duo is docked
>>> (neither mini dock nor dock II) whereas I can boot the undocked Duo to
>>> serial console just fine.
>>
>>i don't think we support the dock at all...
>
>I found it peculiar that the serial ports (2!) are probed (?) just fine but
>cannot be used. On second thought, it may well be that the docks have their
>own set of peripheral chips and the Duo's internal ports are disabled when
>it is docked.

The I/O chips are split between the Duo and the dock if I remember rightly.
The serial and iwm probably really do live on the Duo itself. I think the
only thing on the dock is video, NuBus, and maybe another SCSI controller.

We should easily be able to support a docked machine. The devices all appear
in Slot $E (See the Apple Tech specs for the dock).

"Hot-swapping" a machine is a different matter. Since NetBSD does match/attach
once at boot, I'm not sure if it's possible to do something like switch between
the console at the LCD and the console at the Dock and vice-a-versa. Maybe a
daemon could check a "dock device" and then load the appropriate kernel
modules from user mode?

Still, just getting a machine which is "steady state" docked probably wouldn't
be that hard.

 Michael Zucca - mrz5149@acm.org - http://www.mdc.net/~mrz5149/
 "I will choose a path that's clear. I will choose Freewill. "
  --Rush, Freewill