Subject: Installer "Error on SCSIRead(), #5" not just Quantum Fireball
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Nathan Raymond <nate@staff.feldberg.brandeis.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/16/1998 15:50:15
I have an IBM UltraStar 2ES (DCAS-32160) in a IIci and partitioned it with
a approx. 2GB Root&Usr, 64MB Swap, and 2MB HFS partition, and with the
latest installer I couldn't even build devices without getting the "Error
on SCSIRead(), #5".  I couldn't install a single package completely.  The
drivers are Apple's Drive Setup 1.6.2 (8.1.1 with the latest patch
partition).  I didn't bother with the first workaround mentioned:

http://www.macbsd.com/macbsd/macbsd-docs/faq/faq-4.html#ss4.12

Splitting Root&Usr into two 1GB partitions worked around the problem.

I thought I'd mention the problem since its an IBM drive and the FAQ only
mentions Quantum Fireballs.  Any idea when this bug in the installer will
be fixed?  Anything I can do to help fix it?

--
Nathan Raymond

- nate