Subject: Re: -current does not like non-boot disk
To: Michael R. Zucca <mrz5149@acm.org>
From: Henry B. Hotz <hotz@jpl.nasa.gov>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/16/1998 10:57:38
At 8:47 PM -0800 12/14/98, Michael R. Zucca wrote:
>>Scott thinks it's unlikely that it's a pmap-related problem, which
>>is what I was kind of leaning toward.  I was making the assumption
>>that if this is a machine-independent bug, someone else would be seeing
>>similar behavior and that does not seem to be the case.
>
>Does anybody recall the "kernel size" problem? I was getting problems with
>this a long time ago. Perhaps now, the "voodoo zone" has entered the SCSI
>driver code. In that case, it's definitely a pmap problem.

As a naive comment: is it possible that the crashes are related to the mc
ethernet driver problems I reported?  They also indicated some memory
management issue.

Background:  Mac 840av with 4 disks.  I had to change the fstab to do the
fsck serially since I would get 50% boot failure if disks 2 and 3 were done
in parallel according to which one started first.  (Disk 1 is just swap.)
Also I am no longer am using the onboard ethernet as the primary network
interface, but an Asante card instead.

With those two workarounds the machine has been pretty stable.  No *BSD
related reboots for a couple of months, I think.