Subject: Re: -current does not like non-boot disk
To: Hauke Fath <hauke@Espresso.Rhein-Neckar.DE>
From: Bob Nestor <rnestor@metronet.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/14/1998 17:30:45
Hauke Fath <hauke@Espresso.Rhein-Neckar.DE> wrote:

>At 14:23 Uhr +0100 14.12.1998, Chas Williams wrote:
>>In message <199812140910.BAA200790@pdxcs205.pdx.intel.com>,Colin Wood writes:
>>>something that got corrupted via interaction with the scsi code and the
>>>pool allocator perhaps?  there's definitely been something slightly screwy
>>>going on in that area for several months now given the reports that i've
>>
>>i think its actually worse than that really.  even on a 1.3.2 system i
>>have trouble with the following sequence (it doesnt matter which macine
>>i am using):
>>
>>[repeat 10 times]
>>	mount /dev/sd1<blah> /mnt
>>	umount /mnt
>>
>>eventually, the kernel will hang solid and even an nmi doesnt get a reponse.
>
>I have seen this months ago, with the MO drive. You get away with the first
>and the second mount, but the third try is likely to catch you.

It doesn't always catch you though.  I've been running 1.3.2 on my system
with 3 disks, 2 CDs, and one tape drive all using the old ncr SCSI driver
and haven't seen this crash.  But trying to boot into any of the -current
kernels of the last few months and all I see are crashes.

-bob

To get random signatures put text files into a folder called "Random
Signatures" into your Preferences folder.