Subject: Re: Where do I change RGB-values?
To: None <bps@CoLi.Uni-SB.DE>
From: Ken Nakata <kenn@synap.ne.jp>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/10/1998 20:54:40
On Wed, 9 Dec 1998 21:45:40 +0100 (MET), Bernd-Paul Simon wrote:
> I have just set up Xcolor, but I need to change
> the parameters, for the font appears yellow
> and I don't like the other colors either.

Sounds like you are running Xmac68k_OSFA server at 256 colors on the
internal video, or on a NuBus/PDS video without Paul Goyette's SLOTMAN
kernel or Taras Ivanenko/Colin Wood's video lkm, but I can't tell for
sure because you didn't tell us.

There are several ways you can display the "correct" colors with
Xmac68k_OSFA server:

I. On a NuBus or PDS video card, you need:

	i) a special kernel with a special device driver developed by
	Paul Goyette; one of the SLOTMAN kernels,

	OR

	ii) a device driver initially developed by Taras Ivanenko and
	later turned into a loadable kernel module by Colin Wood.

II. On the internal video, you have to:

	i) set the color depth to 16 bits (thousands of colors) before
	booting NetBSD,

	OR

	ii) set 256 gray mode before booting NetBSD if you cannot do
	16-bit mode.

NOTES: When running on the NuBus/PDS video, I-i is preferred over
I-ii, I think.  In case of II-ii, it will be running in gray scale
mode instead of color mode, but the "colors" will be displayed
correctly nevertheless.

I tried to explain all this in my README file but it has apparently
been more confusing than clear.

Ken