Subject: Re: SONIC LC/PDS TwP Ethernet Troubles
To: Bob Nestor <rnestor@metronet.com>
From: Sean-Paul Rees <sean@flame.org>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/07/1998 19:08:42
On Mon, 7 Dec 1998, Bob Nestor wrote:

> Sean-Paul Rees <sean@flame.org> wrote:
>
> This looks a lot like the NewerTech LC10.  Did you have to install a
> special Ethernet driver under MacOS to get it to work, or does it run
> with the standard Apple driver?  Have you tried it on a PowerMac, or just
> a 68k Mac?  If it's based on the NewerTech LC10 it will only work under
> MacOS with the special driver they provide and it will only work on a 68k
> Mac.  And if it's this card I suspect you'll have a long way to go to get
> it working under NetBSD.

It worked just fine with the MacOS standard driver. It won't run in a
PowerMac, because of the LC slot. I plugged it in, and hit the Networks
control panel. It was quick and easy.

> I'm surprised you couldn't find a less expensive card that is supported.
> There have been a bunch of Apple LC/PDS cards offered on eBay recently
> and they go for $30-$45, plus they work under NetBSD.

Even with all this new enryption software and all the whatnot, I am still
uncomfortable with the idea of transmitting my CC # out over the world.
Call me paranoid, I guess its all the dramaticized stories that I've seen
through the media.

-Sean-Paul Rees