Subject: Re: SONIC LC/PDS TwP Ethernet Troubles
To: Sean-Paul Rees" , "port-mac68k <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Bob Nestor <rnestor@metronet.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/07/1998 20:57:02
Sean-Paul Rees <sean@flame.org> wrote:

>On Mon, 7 Dec 1998, Colin Wood wrote:
>
>> Sean-Paul Rees wrote:
>> >
>> > The largest chip on the board looks somewhat like this:
>> >
>> > MX
>> > MX98803AFC
>> > C9732
>> > MB65139
>> > TAIWAN
>> >
>> > If its safe to scan a computer board, i'll put it on my scanner and blow
>> > it up for you. (This card cost me like$70... so I dun wanna ruin it.)
>>
>> I wouldn't bother with that much trouble.  I'm not quite sure what kind of
>> controller that is...hmmm...does anyone else recognize this?
>
>In the magazines (I think I bought it from Datacomm Warehouse) it is
>listed as a "sonic EtherMac LC 10t"

This looks a lot like the NewerTech LC10.  Did you have to install a
special Ethernet driver under MacOS to get it to work, or does it run
with the standard Apple driver?  Have you tried it on a PowerMac, or just
a 68k Mac?  If it's based on the NewerTech LC10 it will only work under
MacOS with the special driver they provide and it will only work on a 68k
Mac.  And if it's this card I suspect you'll have a long way to go to get
it working under NetBSD.

I'm surprised you couldn't find a less expensive card that is supported.
There have been a bunch of Apple LC/PDS cards offered on eBay recently
and they go for $30-$45, plus they work under NetBSD.

-bob