Subject: Re: SUP (was dt-1.1.6)
To: Steve Revilak <revilak@umbsky.cc.umb.edu>
From: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/06/1998 00:46:27
Steve Revilak wrote:
> Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com> writes:
>
> / Since most of you probably aren't on the source-changes mailing list, I
> / thought I'd let you know that thanks to Frederick Bruckman (fb@enteract.com),
> / dt-1.1.6 is now available as a package via the NetBSD package collection
> / (or at least it should be as of the next SUP, I believe).  Please file a
> / PR if there's any trouble with it.
>
> I should probably dig through the man pages before opening my big mouth,
> but I've always wondered....what is 'SUP'?
>
> Sorry for the dumb question.

It's not a dumb question at all, actually.  SUP (I can't remember what it
stands for, if anything) is a method of getting incremental updates of
files.  It's most useful for tracking -current sources b/c it will only
download those files that have changed day by day rather than having to
wait until the weekend and download the entire source tarball.  Anyone can
use SUP to keep track of NetBSD-current.  Just pick the relevant SUP
collection and point your client to sup.netbsd.org and you're ready to go.
I think that the SUP client is in the main NetBSD tree these days, and if
not, then it's a package.

I hope this clears it up a little.

Later.

Colin