Subject: Re: Low-end database application?
To: Steve Revilak <revilak@umbsky.cc.umb.edu>
From: Jeffrey Dunitz <orpheus@lemieux.hockey.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/02/1998 16:59:48
On Wed, Dec 02, 1998 at 03:11:42PM -0500, Steve Revilak said something like:
> I was wondering, is there any sort of a low-end databse app out there
> that's available for NetBSD (binary or source)?  Something that would
> be suitabel for holding a few dozen names and addresses, or this list
> of checks I wrote last month.
>
> Looking in the packages collection, I see that there are a few Python
> and SQL based items.  However, the only thing I really know about
> Python and SQL is that I really don't know Jack about Python and SQL!
>
> Any ideas?

For your application, Grok is exactly what you want. It's available as
a binary package, or you should be able to compile it with minimal
trouble. I think it requires XForms, XPM, and some other stuff.
It's very nice. I don't have a use for it, but if I ever needed something
more powerful than Windows Cardfile, but not as heavy duty as Oracle, I'd
use it.

> Steve Revilak
> revilak@umbsky.cc.umb.edu

Jeffrey Dunitz                 | Ex-Crayon;           | orpheus@avalon.net
BOFH Emeritus, Avalon Networks | Network Engineer     | Eagan, MN, USA
http://www.avalon.net/~orpheus | EXi Corporation      | 651-523-6992 (work)