Subject: Re: big trouble in little ppp
To: None <xwolf@vr-net.com>
From: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/30/1998 13:05:08
xwolf wrote:
> when i type netstat -r it gives me this
> internet:
> destination		gateway			flags        refs     use    mtu
> localhost      localhost         UH          1        24     -
>
> on the same line as above: interface
> 							  lo0
>
> when i type ifconfig -a it tells me some weird stuff but if i type it
> when i'm connected and when i'm not they are the same          ... ppp0:
> <POINTTOPOINT, MULTICAST> mtu 1500

this pretty much means to me that you haven't actually made a ppp
connection.  otherwise, pppd would set up a default route for you.

> something like that... if it is really nessaccary i will go write it all
> down.

nah, the above looks good enough.  the real key is that the ppp0 interface
isn't marked "UP".

> how do i turn on debug for ppp and chat?

add the line

debug

to you ppp-options file, and that will turn on debugging for pppd.  to
turn it on for chat (possibly more helpful), you need to start chat with
the -v option.  i'm not sure which script starts chat, but if you dig
through them, one should.  also, you'll need to edit /etc/syslog.conf to
direct daemon.* log messages to /var/log/messages (i don't think you
really need *, but i can't remember what the lowest necessary level is,
look at the ppp kit's readme files for more info on this).

anyway, when you start the ppp connection, /var/log/messages should then
contain what's going on.

> and do the fields hostname="" and domain="" and defaultroute="" in
> rc.conf need to be filled in in any way?

maybe.

> if so what should i put in
> there?

if you're not using /etc/myname, then hostname should contain the name of
your machine.  you can leave domain (and /etc/mydomain) empty, since
that's technically the NIS domain.  as for defaultroute, you need to leave
that one blank b/c pppd will set it up for you when the connection comes
up.

Component Design Engineer - PMD                 Intel Corporation