Subject: Re: two questions: audio and ttys
To: Jeffrey Dunitz <orpheus@lemieux.hockey.net>
From: Paul Goyette <paul@whooppee.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/26/1998 10:58:40
On Thu, 26 Nov 1998, Jeffrey Dunitz wrote:

> Hi Y'all.
>
> I've had NetBSD installed on my IIci for a few months, and I think it's
> pretty darn cool. I have several other linux, FreeBSD, and other unix
> boxes too.

Cool.

> MAIN QUESTION:
>
> The thing I can't figure out is how to get audio working on the mac, so
> that I can play .au files and so forth. Is there a config file I need
> to tweak? Or, do I have to rebuild the kernel? I wasn't able to find
> a good document that outlines the procedure for rebuilding the kernel.
> I tried it once, using the FreeBSD kernel-building instructions, which
> were similar up to a point, but I ran into trouble somewhere, and it
> didn't work.

Bad news.  Audio on NetBSD/mac68k isn't working, yet.

> SECOND QUESTION:
> I keep running out of TTYs on my mac. There are more devices in /dev
> than what I seem to be able to use. How does one solve this? It's frustrating
> to try to log into the machine and it says it's out of ttys. :/

You can log in as root and use the /dev/MAKEDEV script to create more
ttys.  But you'll probably also need some more ptys if you're telnetting
into the box or if you're using dt.

	# cd /dev
	# ./MAKEDEV ttyp
	# ./MAKEDEV tyyq
	# ./MAKEDEV ttyr
	# ./MAKEDEV ptyp
	# ./MAKEDEV ptyq
	# ./MAKEDEV ptyr

This should give you more than you can ever keep track of!

> I have more questions, but I don't want this to get confusing. :)
>
> Thanks!
>

> --
> Jeffrey Dunitz                 | Current Job:         | orpheus@avalon.net
> BOFH Emeritus, Avalon Networks | Network Engineer     | Eagan, MN, USA
> http://www.avalon.net/~orpheus | EXi Corporation      | 651-523-6992 (work)

| Paul Goyette      | PGP DSS Key fingerprint:   | E-mail addresses:        |
| Network Engineer  |   BCD7 5301 9513 58A6 0DBC |  paul@whooppee.com       |
| and kernel hacker |   91EB ADB1 A280 3B79 9221 |  paul.goyette@ascend.com |