Subject: Re: xemacs and netbsd
To: None <kenn@synap.ne.jp>
From: Shigeki Uno <shigeki@mediawars.or.jp>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/25/1998 01:53:23
From: Ken Nakata <kenn@synap.ne.jp>
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 1998 00:15:37 +0900

|You could try the package xemacs-20 (or whatever the latest version in
|pkgsrc), although my experience with xemacs-20 is less than
|satisfactory.  Especially it would die on me with "Memory Exhausted"
|message after certain amount of normal use.  I just gave up on it and
|went back to emacs-20, instead.

Mmm...Even Nakata-san gave up, don't you ? In fact, I've tried the
package xemacs-20 before, but error ocurred and never started.(This is
because xemacs-20 required library "libcompface.so.1.0"(file name may
be incorrect)

|> Dumping under the name xemacs
|> Purespace usage: 744024 of 744024 (100%).
|> *** Error code 1
|
|This suggests that you need to allocate more purespace.  How, I'm not
|quite sure.

Of cource, I added --puresize commandline option but it took no effects.
What's wrong ?
According to web pages which are written about xemacs (all of webmasters
are not users of netbsd), They never encountered error which I did.

|Although it looked pretty cool, Xemacs-20 was unbearably slow on a
|68040@40MHz with 48Mbytes of RAM. I wouldn't even try to run it on a
|68030 at any clock rate.
|
|Ken

What you're going to say is that xemacs is too heavy on macbsd platform,
isn't it ?  It's smooth on Linux & FreeBSD which work on PC/AT & its close.

But, xemacs is very cool!!

Thank you very much, Nakata-san.

-----
Shigeki Uno