Subject: Re: Daystar Digital 040-25 in IIci
To: Darren Wright <dwright@dca.net>
From: Michael R. Zucca <mrz5149@acm.org>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/19/1998 23:14:52
>I decided to try maclinux for the heck of it, and lo and behold it boots
>fine.  BUT not without some problems with the RBV card....so I put a Toby
>frame buffer in there...
>
>Well! I forgot to take out the 040 accelerator and left the Toby in there,
>and whiz bang! MacBSD boots!  I get to where it tries to mount the root
>fs, it reads that' it's an ffs filesystem and then hangs.  If I boot into
>single user mode, it asks me for the pathname of the shell and then hangs.
>But nevertheless, the kernel bssooted....any ideas on the rest?

Yes, the 040 card will work great. It works fine on my IIvx with internal
video or using a NuBus video card. The difference is, the IIvx internal video
is mapped physical=logical. On the IIsi/IIci the video memory is mapped in
a rather strange manner.

However, while the IIvx will boot with the 040 card in it, ite fails to
match.

What this suggests to me is that there is something wrong with our physical
to logical translation code. I'm willing to bet if that was fixed we could
probably even get the IIci's internal video to work with an 040 card.
That's just a hunch though.

 Michael Zucca - mrz5149@acm.org - http://www.rit.edu/~mrz5149/
 "I will choose a path that's clear. I will choose Freewill. "
  --Rush, Freewill