Subject: Re: Daystar Digital 040-25 in IIci
To: Darren Wright <dwright@dca.net>
From: I-Jong Lin <ijonglin@EE.Princeton.EDU>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/19/1998 12:35:38

> Interesting update:
>
> I have been using macBSD for a while now successfully on my IIci with
> cache card and RBV internal video.  I've tried to get my Daystart digital
> 040 to work...but of course we all know that they don't.
>
> I decided to try maclinux for the heck of it, and lo and behold it boots
> fine.  BUT not without some problems with the RBV card....so I put a Toby
> frame buffer in there...
>
> Well! I forgot to take out the 040 accelerator and left the Toby in there,
> and whiz bang! MacBSD boots!  I get to where it tries to mount the root
> fs, it reads that' it's an ffs filesystem and then hangs.  If I boot into
> single user mode, it asks me for the pathname of the shell and then hangs.
> But nevertheless, the kernel bssooted....any ideas on the rest?
>
> -Darren

Dear Darren,

   Well, here are my experiences w/ 040 accelerators in 030 machines.
The general problem is just how each linux (MacLinux and MacBSD) tries to
boot the machine.  From what I can tell, MacOS passes over control to
MacLinux by some sort of warm boot.  Thus, as long as your MacOS leaves
the accelerator in running condition when it passes over, the MacLinux
will just pick it up.  I was running Debian MacLinux w/ no problem after
I changed the accelerator control panel not to change to the '030
on shutdown.  NetBSD seems to reset the system pretty hard and as a result,
when you try to run NetBSD w/ either 1) the system doesn't recognize
the '040 at all or 2) the '040 registers (PC and data registers)
just have junk in them.  To fix this problem in NetBSD, I had to
change the kernel so that 1) all '030 register information was saved
to main memory, 2) install the vector interrupt table at 0 w/ RESET
interrupt, to copy '030 register info into '040, reset cache and mmu
registers, 3) poke a special physical memory location to send to
the machine to the RESET vector and then continue on with the boot.

Although the kernel booted fine and I was able to get to
single-user mode, writes to SCSI device were garbled for some
unknown reason, destroying the filesystem, making it less than
useful system.

As far as MacBSD running w/ the Toby card, you got me ... just
count your blessings, I guess.  What does the Toby card do anyway?
It may give me some insight to what's going on.

Currently, it seems that my accelerator has died, so I've moved to a
Quadra 700.  Ah well.

Hope this helps,
I-Jong