Subject: Re: SE/30
To: Eric Damien Berna <eric@thiel.com>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fb@enteract.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/17/1998 20:04:03
On Tue, 17 Nov 1998, Eric Damien Berna wrote:

> At 5:07 PM -0600 11/17/98, Wayne Stewart wrote:
> >>Sounds to me like you didn't install the kernel.  There is a separate
> >>kernel .tgz file for the kernel, since for many versions of NetBSD there
> >>are more than one version of the kernel in the standard mac68k
> >>distribution.  You need to install the one appropriate for your system.
> >
> >I am sure that I did install the kernel, there were two files:
> >
> >    netbsd-GENERIC.gz
> >    netbsd-GENERICSBC.gz
> >
> >Maybe (I can't remember) I installed both, could that cause my problem?
>
> The second should just overwrite the first, so that shouldn't cause a problem.

Those aren't tar archives, such as would allow the installer to intall
the kernel as /netbsd. David has two choices. 1)Use a MacOS tool, such
as Stuffit Expander, to gunzip the files (line ending transloation
OFF), and cpin them, or 2) cpin them as they are, and set the booter
to the actual file name, netbsd-GENERIC.gz or whatever.  The installer
can handle a gzipped kernel, but it will have to be unzipped and
renamed in order for "ps" and friends to work properly. He can use
"mount -a; gunzip -c netbsd-GENERIC.gz >/netbsd". I'm fairly
certain all this is in the installation notes.