Subject: Re: SE/30
To: Wayne Stewart <waynestewart@mactobasics.com.au>
From: Eric Damien Berna <eric@thiel.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/17/1998 17:26:53
At 5:07 PM -0600 11/17/98, Wayne Stewart wrote:
>>Sounds to me like you didn't install the kernel.  There is a separate
>>kernel .tgz file for the kernel, since for many versions of NetBSD there
>>are more than one version of the kernel in the standard mac68k
>>distribution.  You need to install the one appropriate for your system.
>
>I am sure that I did install the kernel, there were two files:
>
>    netbsd-GENERIC.gz
>    netbsd-GENERICSBC.gz
>
>Maybe (I can't remember) I installed both, could that cause my problem?

The second should just overwrite the first, so that shouldn't cause a problem.

>Can I re-install just the kernel (without doing anything else) or should I
>re-initialise the partitions etc etc again?

If you did the rest of the install correctly, no you shouldn't have to.
But maybe you did miss a step.  Use the mini shell inside the installer to
check the contents of your disk.  If you have files and directories that
look like they are correct, then you shouldn't have to reinstall
everything, otherwise you may have to.

>Can you use the installer to install a new package/binary after you have the
>system up & running without destroying what is already there?  Eg I want to
>install Apache.

You could use the installer to install new packages/binaries, but I
wouldn't recommend it.  You should use the package system under NetBSD to
install additional packages.

Eric Damien Berna
eric@thiel.com

NetBSD 1.3.1 on a Mac IIcx
NetBSD-current on a Mac Quadra 950
	(Indefinitely down, my wife is using it)