Subject: Re: Errors on Running NetBSD...
To: Jonathan Ploudre <jploudre@yahoo.com>
From: Bob Nestor <rnestor@metronet.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/15/1998 16:00:42
Jonathan Ploudre <jploudre@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Frederick Bruckman <fb@enteract.com> wrote:
>
>>>Omitted original post about trouble booting NetBSD.
>
>> It sounds like your file-system is corrupted, in any case.
>
>I should have been more clear on my question:  I am trying to boot
>NetBSD for the first time. After I initialized my hard drive, I loaded
>the 1.3.2 binary that I had downloaded. Then I got the error:
>
>Panic: Reshndl table too small!!
>Stopped at _debugger +0x6: unlk a6

I think this is covered in the FAQ.  Bascially what I believe is
happening is the ROM code in your system is incompatible with some of the
ADB hardware you have attached. Under MacOS this is handled by a System
INIT or patch file that loads with the OS and replaces the offending ROM
code.  This would explain why not all versions of System will boot on
your Mac too.

Some third-party ADB devices (trackballs, multi-button mice, etc) seem to
cause this problem.  You might try to strip your ADB chain down to a
minimal set of Apple devices (Apple Keyboard and mouse) and see if that
solves your problem.  If it does then you can go through a process of
adding one new ADB device at at time until you find the offending one.

The other solution is to boot a HW-DIRECT kernel rather than an MRG/ADB
one.  I believe that all GENERIC kernels after 1.3.2 are based on
HW-DIRECT code; GENERIC Kernels prior to that were based on MRG/ADB code.

Hope this helps, and good luck.
-bob