Subject: Re: booting problems
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Armen Babikyan <armenb@moof.ai.mit.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/14/1998 00:21:28
At 12:22 AM -0500 11/12/98, Armen Babikyan wrote:
>Hello,
>
>having had probles with 1.3.2 and -current, i went back to 1.3.1.
>
>I'm not sure what i've done wrong, but my NetBSD machine keeps hanging for
>some reason. I had NetBSD 1.3.1 on my quadra700 for months, but when i just
>tried rebooting with it installed, it failed.
>
>I now crash when i run mount -uw / (so i can vi /etc/rc.conf)
>with panic: vm_page_alloc
>
>a trace shows:
>_Debugger(
>_panic(
>_vm_page_alloc(
>_vm_fault(
>_trap
>faultstkadj(
>
>when i restarted, i was able to edit /etc/rc.conf, but then booting broke
>with the same reason after trying to start network. trace shows the same as
>above.
>
>my quadra700 has 20MB ram. i have a 80MB internal macos HD, and an external
>270MB quantum prodrive which has a 32MB swap partition and the rest being a
>root&usr partition. i used NetBSD/mac68k Installer 1.1g, and Mkfs 1.45.
>
>any ideas? if any more information is needed, i'll gladly provide it.

(sorry if this is a duplicate message, my mac crashed earlier)

Well i got my machine working, finally. i simply help down the shift key in
macos. it stopped all the vm_fault, MMU fault, and vm_page_alloc panics i
kept getting. why would this happen though? only extra hardware on my q700
is my apple 8bit nubus video card.

now i have a problem with dhclient. when i run it, i get these errors:

  ifconfig: SIOCGIFMEDIA: Invalid argument
and
  can't connect to sysconf socket: no such file or directory

I am also getting a
  arpresolve: can't allocate llinfo
in my syslog.

any ideas anyone? i don't understand what the invalid argument phrases
could be talking about...
this is NetBSD 1.3.1 by the way...would upgrading fix this?

thanks for any and all help,

  - a