Subject: Re: measuring port utilization
To: Avram Dorfman <dorfman@est.org>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fb@enteract.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/13/1998 18:36:48
On Fri, 13 Nov 1998, Avram Dorfman wrote:

> Is there any sort of statistic, or variable, or other resource
> that keeps track of how many bytes have come and gone on a serial
> port?

pppstats. You can get a rough idea of the bandwidth during a download
with "pppstats -w9" (or 8 or 10, take your pick).

> I need to track the bandwidth usage of my serial/ppp port so I can
> prove to my ISP that bandwidth is unrelated to the performance
> problems I'm having with them.
>
> Maybe others of you have seen this problem, although I'm thinking
> it's an issue w/ their dial-in servers, not netbsd. I'm having a
> problem where several times a day, seemingly arbitrarily, the
> responsiveness of my ppp connection will start to degrade, and
> then die completely. When I do ping test, either to the dial-up
> server itself, or to a host at my ISP, the behavior is that I'll
> get 180ms responses for hours, then it will gradual increase to
> 10+ _seconds_ per ping, over the course of around 10-20 minutes.
> Then finally the connection will die, redial automatically, and
> then it will be fine.
>
> For background, I have a Q660av, and a 56k v.90 modem which
> usually gets 44kbps connections. I've tried setting the port speed
> down to 38.4 kbps, and the behavior is the same.
>
> Anyone believe it could be a netbsd problem?

I doubt it. All v.90's are Betas--the final v.90 spec has not even
been released yet. My isp uses three different brands of terminal
servers, and problems with any and all of them are frequently reported
in the local newsgroups.

[Please set your mail client to wrap lines. I can read your messages
fine, using pine, but I suspect a lot of folks can't read your
messages at all.]