Subject: Re: startx hangs with 800x600 pixels (15 inch)
To: charlie an <charlie@tradeit.com>
From: Michael R. Zucca <mrz5149@acm.org>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/11/1998 23:56:22
>But...with 800x600 resolution, startx hangs after it prints a line telling me
>the correct resolution and depth. It happens with both the MacX68k that comes
>with the xbase.tgz (1.3?) and OSFA's, and regardless whether in 1 bit or
>else.
>The FAQ told me to give it as much time as possible, but it really seemed it
>hung there.

Ok, you mentioned 1.3? You may want to try a later version of the kernel.
1.3 had problems getting the base address of the frame buffer on Quadras
in certain resolutions.

Later kernels (1.3.2?) have a patch that reads the video controller registers
to get the frame buffer offset.

Hope this helps!

 Michael Zucca - mrz5149@acm.org - http://www.rit.edu/~mrz5149/
 "I will choose a path that's clear. I will choose Freewill. "
  --Rush, Freewill